Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
Is it safe for your dog to eat Grapes? Read more to find out.
Grapes (and raisins) are VERY BAD for dogs. They can be potentially fatal. They are just as – if not more – dangerous than chocolates, yet far less people are aware that dog’s should not eat grapes!
Dogs that eat grapes will often start throwing up after ingesting them. Vomiting is good so that the grapes do not end up being completely digested.
Once the grapes work their way into the dog’s system, it becomes very dangerous. Almost all dogs that are reported to have eaten grapes eventually develop renal failure, better known as kidney failure.
There still is little known about why grapes are toxic. Possibilities like pesticides, heavy metals, and fungus contamination have been ruled out as causes. Just be sure to keep grapes and raisins far away and out of reach from any dogs.
If your dog eats one or two grapes, it probably isn’t as bad. When my dog was a puppy, it stole a grape that dropped from the kitchen table. He vomited and had diarrhea for a couple days, but he is fine now.
But if your dog eats a handful, seek a veterinarian immediately before it is too late. Fast and aggressive treatment including IV fluids and close monitoring is often necessary for survival.
Keep grapes and raisins away from your dog!
What do other dog owners have to say about whether their dogs can eat Grapes or not? See comments below.
53 Comments on Can Dogs Eat Grapes
Know if dogs can or can't eat Grapes? Help other dog owners by leaving a comment.